We are recruiting for a Building Services Design Engineer Degree Apprentice to join our friendly and innovative Leeds team, who are involved in a wide variety of challenging and exciting projects. This apprenticeship opportunity is in partnership with Leeds Beckett University.
· Why join Buro Happold as an Apprentice?
· Our management team include qualified professional engineers who learnt, developed and became qualified through the apprenticeship route. Many engineers who decide to progress through the apprenticeship route find that working during the day on projects whilst attending part time study provides an invaluable experience and enables a work focused programme of learning delivering increased technical skills and behaviours that are invaluable for their career.
· Within your team you will be guided by your line manager and colleagues within a strong collaborative ethos that will enable you to develop your engineering understanding, knowledge and skills by working on a broad range of projects. There are also wider groups such as the Young Employees Forum (YEF) for those at an early stage of their career which provides a wider peer network across the many design, advisory and consulting disciplines that is Buro Happold. The YEF not only organises professional development events but has a wider focus on encouraging participation in voluntary activities and social events.
· Leeds Beckett University will provide an excellent programme of study on a day-release format, meaning you will spend one day per week in class for 24 weeks per academic year. A typical taught week will include eight hours of contact with academics, and an additional 12 hours of study.
· For more information on this programme, follow this link
· Starting salary for this apprenticeship is £22000 per annum plus benefits.
· What will I be doing?
· You will embrace the latest energy and MEP technologies to improve performance and sustainability. Sustainable design is the top of our corporate agenda.
· Undertake detailed building services (including electrical, plumbing, mechanical, sustainability) design and calculations (using both software and knowledge to verify robust calculations).
· Ensure service and project work are carried out to an excellent standard – within agreed deadlines and within budget.
· Prepare technical specifications and schedules, design development reports and innovative design solutions.
· Plan and manage input to Building Information Modelling software for production of design work
· Use Building Information Modelling software to design engineering services on projects through learning from colleagues and in house training
· Represent the company as part of a team by attending design team meetings or meetings with clients and architects
· What do I bring to this role?
· A keen interest in the built environment and a desire to develop Building Information Modelling skills to express your designs
· Confident, enthusiastic, proactive and ‘can do’ attitude
· A positive and inquisitive approach and the confidence to ask and respond to challenging questions
· What qualifications will I need in order to enrol?
· Minimum 112 UCAS points, or equivalent
· An appropriate Level 4 qualification i.e. HND, Foundation Degree (FdSc) or Higher Level Apprenticeship in a cognate subject area
· GCSE English Language at Grade C or above and Mathematics at Grade B or an equivalent qualification.
· Not sure if your qualifications meet the entry requirements for the apprenticeship? You can use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to check.
· What do I get?
· Successful apprentices will graduate with a degree in Building Services Engineering (Level 6)
· iEng status upon Completion. Mentoring and support to achieve professional status and further industry accreditation
· Support throughout your apprenticeship: apprentices buddy network, mentoring, young employees forum, structured on-the-job learning plan
· Understanding and hands on experience of MEP work in the built environment.
To apply for this job please visit careers.burohappold.com.